Diana Cable, CanAge, Canada
Have you ever wondered why some organizations are able to get the issues they are advocating for taken up by your country’s Government? Public policy does not make itself. This practical and engaging workshop will take you from public policy ideas into government prioritization and then into implementation. Participants will work through their own public policy goals and create an individualized roadmap for how to bring their public policy issue into practice. This practically oriented session is a must for anyone who is trying to get public awareness raised and their government to take action. Participants will learn:
- How to identify the government spending cycles of their own governments. And how it relates to government spending in the public sector
- Identify evidence that both supports and refutes their desired policy change
- Brainstorm possible policy options for the problem they have identified
- Brainstorm the decision-makers they in their own governments that they could present to and special considerations to consider for each
- Identify major challenges arising from the implementation of their initiative
- Brainstorm indicators of the impact of their policy change
Each participant will leave with a tangible plan of action to move their issue to political centre stage.
Participants: bring a policy issue you would like to move forward in your country
Note: while we will be mainly talking about democratic systems, we will touch on the processes of other political systems.